Anonymous comments from army colleagues:
Just found out about another two soldiers killed overseas. Another sobering day to be in the army.
On another note, the CBC continues it's deification of Quebec soldiers at the expense of all the other soldiers in the CF.
From CBC this morning: "The soldiers were from the famed Quebec-based Royal 22nd Regiment, known as the Van Doos."
Emphasis mine. I'm getting sick of this.
For comparison's sake, let's look at some of the other articles from the CBC.
- Dawe, Bartsch and Watkins were all from the Edmonton-based 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Bason was a reservist with the B.C.'s Royal Westminster Regiment.
- Master Cpl. Allan Stewart, 30, and Trooper Patrick James Pentland, 23, of the Royal Canadian Dragoons, were based in Petawawa, Ont.
- Four were with Gagetown, N.B.-based 2nd Battalion, the Royal Canadian Regiment: Sgt. Donald Lucas, 31, Cpl. Aaron E. Williams, 23, and Privates Kevin Vincent Kennedy,20, and David Robert Greenslade, 20. Cpl. Christopher Paul Stannix, 24, a reservist from the Halifax-based Princess Louise Fusiliers, also died.
And so it goes. Everyone but the Van Doos gets a location, but the Van Doos get "famed." Oh well, whatever it takes to keep them in the war, I guess...
Maybe we should rewrite some of those to truly reflect what they are saying:
Cpl Huffnagle was from the "Adequate" 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
Sgt Dramamine was from the "Seemingly sanguine yet potentially lethal" Royal Canadian Dragoons
MCpl Throatwarblermangrove was from the "Not nearly as famous as the VanDoos" Royal Canadian Regiment
- ► 2021 (69)
- ► 2020 (22)
- ► 2019 (30)
- ► 2017 (34)
- ► 2016 (91)
- ► 2015 (117)
- ► 2014 (153)
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (81)
- ► 2009 (25)
- ► 2008 (18)
- Robot Rampage Paralyzes Pottersville, PA - OR - A ...
- Lard Coffins, or Walter Gets His Wings
- CBC Coverage of Afghanistan Casualties
- U.S. Episcopal Church monks offer retreat for war-...
- Words Unspoken Are Rendered on War’s Faces
- War Stress Pushing Army Suicides Higher
- When a US soldier in Iraq won't soldier
- What I'm Reading: Achtung Schweinhund
- Army Picture Caption Contest
- US Army struggles with soldier who won't pull the ...
- A Sermon for Sunday, August 12th
- What I'm Reading: Anne Rice's Christ the Lord Out ...
- What I'm Reading: Cormac McCarthy's The Road
- ▼ August (13)