Friday, March 22, 2024

Ottomans On Parade: A Resurrected Army

 Some years ago I started something called the Resurrected Armies Project, where I would revisit an old wargaming project and try to breathe some life in it, assuming that the project made the cut (my 20mm WW2 collection was rehomed rather than resurrected, but that's another story).

Recently, after finishing a unit of Assault Group janissaries as seen in my previous post here, I wanted to see how my entire Ottoman army looked on the table.    Some of these figures are quite old, and some, like an ancient Minifigs janissary regiment (the chaps in red) have been recently rebased.   There's more cavalry rebasing to do.  

Here's the entire army.


The total collection can field three units of skirmish bows, two units of janissary infantry, two units of levytype guys with choppers, three units of skirmish akinci cavalry with bows, two units of armoured spahi cavalry, two medium and one heavy gun, and several command figures.  A unit of tufecki musketeers is in the painting queue.


The heavy gun.  I have no idea what make of figures the gunners are.


Gunners in blue and janissaries in red are ancient Minifigs.


The flower of the Sultan's cavalry.    There are a few Assault Group spahis mixed in with God knows what else.   As you can tell from the banner, my Arabic is a bit rusty.


Newer janissary regiment and behind them some bare chested fellows, once dubbed the "Turkish love slaves" in a game ages ago


It's embarrassing that I have so many Ottoman figures and know so little about the Turks in the 18th century.    I've looked at several SYW rules sets and there are no lists for them (there might be an Ottoman list in the very old Age of Reason rules by Todd Kershner, I should see if I still have my set).  Generally I would rate the skirmish troops as low quality, the artillery and janissaries as varying from low to line/trained, and the spahis as line to good, able to go up against European heavy cavalry.

The secret of an Ottoman army should be superior numbers of horse - even a multitude of bad horse units can threaten and engulf the flanks of a smaller, superior force, which is why the Russians favoured large brigade or divisional squares when fighting the Ottomans.

What are your thoughts on how to rate and use such an army?

Cheers and blessings,

MP+

8 comments:

  1. I do like an old school figure, there is just something about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heartily agree, especially as I am rapidly becoming an old school figure myself! ;)

      Delete
  2. That is one fine-looking army, Michael, and deserving of showing off - especially in battle. I don't know much at all about the Ottomans myself, though did seriously consider building a late 17th century one for DBR games: danced like a butterfly on caffeine; stung like a moth.

    These days I'd probably look at an army very like yours for Napoleonic action against, say, the Russians; possibly the Austrians. There seems to have been a lot of action in the Balkans during the Napoleonic period we don't get to hear a lot about. I have an idea that the Ottomans might have been having a few disputes down Persia way, and all...
    Man, I like that army!
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ion, it is an exotic army for sure, and as I'm discovering, requires some careful handling. I'm considering some ideas like giving the Janissaries variable quality, so one doesn't know until the first time in battle whether a unit is A (elite), B (line) or C (levy/poor) on the basis that the janissary tradition had become quite diluted by the 1700s. It's definitely not a European army that lines up and blasts away, but rather favours feints, annoying tactics, but still has some punch when required.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks mate, most kind. It's a fun project to be sure!

      Delete

Blog Archive

Followers