Thursday, February 29, 2024

28mm Ottoman Infantry Regiment

Hello friends:

Bit of a change of direction here, as I finally finish a unit that's been on and off the painting table since the start of winter.


 This is a regiment of Janissary infantry, figures by The Assualt Group.   While these figures are more Renaissance than 18th Century, they will be opponents for my SYW Russian army.

The flag was from a set I purchased from Warfare Miniatures USA.  Good customer service.  I have some of their Ottomans and while they aren't as good as TAG, they're ok.




Figures are painted using the Foundry tri-tone system.  I'm especially happy with the headresses.


Also some single based command figures, always useful for Sharp Practice.


Always fun to paint Ottomans.


I'm hoping to muster these fellows into my Ottoman army, which is a strange mix of new and old figures, and put them on the table against my Russians.   I don't have a set of SYW rules that includes an Ottoman list.   However, Henry Hyde's new horse and musket rules have a colonial section that might do for some of the wilder Ottoman troop types.  More to follow.

Thanks for looking and blessings to your brushes!

MP+








14 comments:

  1. "Paint the legend! (sic) These look great.

    However, not only do they look like most of our ideas of Janissaries, as far as my limited research for my Napoleon in Egypt game goes, it seems the Turkish armies were quite traditional up to the end of the 18thC and even then there was resistance to adopting new tactics, weapons and uniforms, so yours are probably very reasonable for the SYW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ross. I agree that an archaic look is better for these fellows. I did look with interest at the new Perry Bros range of Napoleonic Ottomans but decided that they were a little too “modern” to mix with my collection.

      Delete
  2. I've been eyeing TAG's 17th century offerings for a while now and your paintjob does very much convince me to buy some. Very splendid looking figures! (Also a good note on Warfare because those would have been my second choice.)
    If it is of any consolation, my 1/72 Napoleonic Ottomans also had 17th century style Janissaries and they looked the part (that is, before I sold them off).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Andrew, I'm grateful for your kind comments and hope to see some of your painted TAG figures, they do not disappoint. I have good things to say about Warfare's customer service, and their figures are nice but seem a little skinny compared to TAG, but that never worries me, I have old Minifigs Ottomans in my collection and don't care, lol.

      Delete
  3. These look really cool Mike. What a fab paintjob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray. Now that I recall, I think the blue robes and red sashes are done with Citadel contrast paints, and they turned out ok, glad you like them.

      Delete
  4. Shabash!
    Ottomans not included in Honours of War?

    Either way, looking forward to seeing them in a game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly there are no provisions for Otts in HOW but I'm sure it could be improvised, treat most of them except for Janissaries as irregulars. How hard could it be?

      Delete
  5. Very nice MP, I do like the Assault Group Ottomans.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Stuart. Nick Collier did nice work with TAG's Ottomans, I want more!

      Delete

Blog Archive

Followers