Wednesday, November 17, 2021

New Troopers for the Czar: Foundry SYW Russian Cuirassiers

There was much excitement here last week as a small package from Madrid arrived in my post box.   I’ve become a tiresome convert to Adolfo Ramos’ flags, I think he’s simply the best in the business, and his presentation flags mounted on poles with the tasselly things are the bees knees, if you don’t mind paying a little more and waiting a little longer.  This is my third order from Adolfo and I’m a huge fan.

All of these are for SYW units in the painting queue, starting with the newly finished Kievsky Regiment of Cuirassiers.    Seeing as the standard bearer is cast holding the standard pole, I ordered the 25 and 15mm versions to be cautious, and was pleased that I did so, for it was the 15mm flag that fit.

 A warm spring day on the parade field as the newly raised unit is mustered into service under the watchful eyes of several generals.

 Father Piotr Mikhailovich blesses the banners and prays that they will fight well for their God and for their Czar.  The Orthodox priest is a figure painted and given to me years back by my friend and podcast partner James Manto.

 “May God bless you with good dice rolls!"

 The regiment passes in review.   These are Foundry figures, I purchased six of them years ago in a bring and buy, and recently bought another six to make up the unit when the SYW bug returned.     I think Foundry SYW figures are even better than Front Rank for the detail and animation of the faces.

 

This regiment gives my Russian army some badly needed hitting power in its cavalry arm.  Now back to the Prussians who have several regiments and a battery in the queue, along with impatient Alte Fritz and his staff! 

Thanks for looking.  Blessings to your brushes!

MP+

21 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff, love the priest. I've been doing them, on and off, in 6mm, but I'll admit, the big boys are tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The voice of sanity tells me I should have tackled the SYW in 6mm because I could have an army finished in the time it took to do this regiment and the last, but they look SO good when finished ...

      Delete
  2. Flags maketh the regiment, though a well presented uniform goes a long way. Had I not made my own Prussian flags for the Army of Altmark-Uberheim, I'd be giving these a very serious look!
    These are seriously fine bodies of troops, Michael!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ion. I confess I don't have the imagination for imagi-nations but I respect people who do!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Many thanks Peter. You once said you wished I painted more horse and musket figures, well, that's the trajectory of my painting these days, I quite enjoy it!

      Delete
    2. You've a better memory than I Padre! But I'll agree with that pearl of wisdom.

      Delete
  4. Super work, Michael! Those flag are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan. I think the investment in the Ramos flags really gets the unit over the finish line!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful flags for beautiful figures. I've always had a fondness for the SYW period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Me too. It's funny that I've never thought of doing Napoleonics in 28mm, but SYW in the big scale for some reason is irresistible to me. I don't quite understand the difference, but there you go. :)

      Delete
    2. It may be that the period seems more gentlemanly? Maybe it's the whole Age of Reason that makes players more reasonable? That is, Napoleonics seems to attract elements who obsess over buttons and lapels and whatnot. If not SYW, it would be Marlborough for me.

      Delete
  6. Those are great flags and I can see why you are a convert. The mustered troops look great and the Orthodox priest blessing them is a nice touch:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are very fine units! Might I enquire if you would consider blessing me or my dice? I need it on both counts lately...😕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly David! I confess I've never even tried blessing my own dice (I could, since I'm a vicar), but I'm not sure how theologically sound that is. ;)

      Delete
  8. Great looking flags Mike and even better looking figures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a muster of lovely uniforms! Very nicely done mate!

    Those flags too are excellent! Yet to have a project that needs banners, but I know where I’ll go to get some now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Splendid looking flags and great looking regiment ( the orthodox priest is a nice touch) The bishop blessing his golf clubs was a nice touch in Dogma I thought.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh lovely! Love the priest too!

    I have a unit of the Front Rank Light Dragoons for my British SYW that I really must get to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely figures and the priest's blessing for their die rolls is a splendid bit of humour!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers