Some talk of Alexander and some of Hercules
Of Hector and Lysander, and such great names as these.
But of all the world's brave heroes, there's none that can compare.
With a tow, row, row, row, row, row, to the Prussian Grenadiers.
Apologies to any British grenadiers out there, but it seems a good song to celebrate finally finishing these lads. They are the second half of an order to Wargames Foundry in the UK last year (currently my go-to range for the Seven Years War), but the poor fellows got tucked away half painted in preparation for our move last November, and I've finally dug them out of a box and pushed them over the finish line.
These brave fellows are painted to represent the grenadiers of the Von Retzow regiment, or the Grenadier Garde, as per Kronoskaf. Together with a contingent of grenadiers I painted last year, they will form the 3/6 Von Kleist converged grenadier regiment. Once I finish a skirmish currently occupying the table, I'll post a parade photo of all the grenadiers assembled.
Pioneer. He came in a set of Prussian grenadier characters. I've been trying my hand at painting eyes, he looks like he has the thousand yard stare going!
Another character figure. Private Horst is falling out to do what we all have to do sometime. A fun little vignette figure to tuck away on the battlefield. He'll probably catch Frederick's eye and get a tongue lashing!
Cheers, thanks for looking, and blessings to your brushes! MP+






A fine body of stalwarts!
ReplyDeleteSoon to become fine bodies of stalwarts in their first battle, I'm sure!
DeleteSplendid fellows, l am particularly taken with the pioneer with axe .
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland
Thanks, milord Duke. I have a pioneer figure for each part of the converged battalion (see next post) which can be placed on the table when it takes so many turns to build/demolish a bridge, knock down a gate, etc. With their aprons they are quite impressive.
DeleteIt's always very satisfying to finish a unit that's been "at ease" in a box overlong
ReplyDeleteThey look splendid
Thank you, sir, they got put in a box when packing and it was indeed very satisfying to take them out and finish them.
DeleteHi Mike,
ReplyDeleteGreat stuff! A proper fine-looking body of men. Nothing beats getting a long-shelved project finished and onto the table (even if first-game dice syndrome awaits!). Best of luck with their maiden battle—I'm currently stuck in the middle of basing two 6mm SYW armies, so this is top motivation!
All the best, Andy
Thank you Andy, very kind. I will have to drop by your blog and see those 6mm armies. Sometimes I think I should have gone with that scale for this project but I've saved 6mm for large scale Napoleonics. 28mm works well for the SYW and its smaller armies, I think.
DeleteYou really can’t beat 28mm for the Seven Years' War—the uniforms and lace details look absolute magic in that larger scale! I went down the 6mm rabbit hole with Baccus for the sheer massed battalion look on smaller tables, but seeing a full 28mm brigade lined up always makes me second-guess myself!
DeleteAll the best, Andy
How wonderful! Great to get them table ready and they look great.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Michael, always high praise from such as yourself.
DeleteThese are just lovely Mike! So much character per WGF's typical standard and you've really gone all out with their paint jobs on them. (Private Horst's timing might not go down too well once the shots start firing!)
ReplyDeleteThanks mate, Private Horst appears in the next post. As they said in Blackadder, let all who go to don armour tomorrow remember to go before they don armour! :)
DeleteSplendid grenadiers,lovely finish and great character!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
Cheers Iain, always grateful when you pop by.
DeleteLovely figures 👍
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Matt.
DeleteWell they look rather tasty Mike!!!
ReplyDeleteCheers, mate.
DeleteA fine regiment indeed.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much my friend.
Delete