Saturday, December 18, 2021

Playing Lasalle with 3D printed 6mm Naps

“Hey, Mike, want a free army?”   That wasn’t how I’m usually greeted by V, the owner of my Friendly Local Gaming Store, and I was immediately suspicious, as V is a canny operator who has managed to stay in the retail hobby business for decades.   

“What’s the catch?”  I asked warily.

“No catch”, V said cheerfully, “you just have to paint it.”    V, who is a tireless (and sometimes cranky ball of energy), is an historical gamer at heart, even though the bulk of his business is a carefully balanced supply of action figures, GW kit, Airsoft gear, and Eurogames.   He’s also a born again 3D printer, has just bought a ton of .STL files, and proudly showed off a mass of 6mm figures that he’s recently stamped out.  Here is a stand of Spanish infantry in their distinctive bicornes.   As you can see, they are designed in the same block style that Warlord uses for their 18mm ACW and Napoleonic range, though less detailed.

And from the back.   The legs are not terribly distinct, and they are very well equipped for Spanish troops, but shouldn’t be that hard to paint.   

The .STL files also include a command stand (front left in the photo below), not terribly say to see in the black primer that V has used.   A command stand and three rank and file units make up a unit of foot in Sam Mustafa’s LaSalle rules, which V wants to use to play large battles.

Here are some photos of a LaSalle battle that V and I played this last Monday, an Anglo-Dutch army below facing off against the French.  V has painted enough figures to have a decent battle, and at 6mm, seen while looking down at the table while standing, they look perfectly acceptable.

 

LaSalle was new to me, though I’ve played Blucher and the concepts are generally familiar to anyone with some experience of Sam Mustafa’s games.  The game allows some tactical choices, while the fluid turn sequence, in which players can pass the initiative back and forth while spending momentum points (of which there are never enough) keeps things interesting.

The cavalry in V’s STL files print singly and look good enough when based, though they are all guys in shakos and swords, so it’s rather generic.

I agreed to take four of the Spanish stands home to test paint.   My own 6mm collection is single based, which work well for games like Blucher and TFL’s GdA.    Forunately they are about the same length as V’s bases in mass formation.

And two bases of my figures placed end to end equal’s V’s four bases formed in line, so our collections are roughly compatible.   V is quite pleased that I have large, ready painted French and Austrian armies (and apparently the makings of a Spanish army) so I think our two collections are generally interoperable.

I can happily foresee some H2H 6mm gaming in the new year, barring another lockdown.  It’s looking rather grim here a the moment.

Blessings, my friends.

MP+

9 comments:

  1. These figures look GREAT, Michael! While technology has brought writing and publishing to everyone, soon everyone can be a figure manufacturer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do indeed look great, Jonathan! My own preference is for the individually cast 6mm figures of a Baccus or an Adler, but on the tabletop, these little blocks of resin come alive and capture the grand feel that we want of 6mm. I may ask Santa for my own 3D printer!

      Delete
  2. The temptation to acquire a 3D printer is very strong! The very uniform appearance of those blocks actually looks very attractive. I think they would require a slightly different - massed - painting technique from the single-based figures. What do you reckon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been surprised how good they look on mass, not sure I could face another 6mm project right now given that I am staring at another 100 Sioux warriors for the Pony Wars, but they do have a certain appeal.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very smart looking stuff and at that scale design flaws aren’t that noticeable at all I think

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do look very effective en masse, rather like the Commission Figurines 6mm mdf figures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From a strictly big battle wargaming POV, 6's have always been the way to go with 15's close on their heels if you have a big table.

    I would be afraid of having a 3d printer in my house......its crowded enough already.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good looking teeny tiny Spanish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers