Thursday, February 13, 2014

Panzers Marsch! New German Tanks

 School work really beat me up in a dark alley this week, but I have a few moments today to post pictures of the four 15mm panzers I’ve recently finished.  Tonight they are in action on my games table (except for the Tiger) and none of them have blown up yet.

 

Battlefront 15mm Tiger Mk 1 driving over some Battlefront resin roads - which explains where those resin tank tracks came from.  The lighting here is rather dreadful, but hopefully its sufficient to show my attempt at using  pigment pigment to show mud gathered on the road wheels and lower tracks.  Hmmm, that turret doesn’t look like it’s seated properly.  :(

 

The Tiger crew takes a selfie.   Obviously this wouldn’t do for combat to have the driver’s head sticking out, but I liked the look of it.  These pictures don’t really show it, but I used a little Vallejo Armour Aces Rust and did some chipping around the seams and edges, though for 15mm scale this effort borders on work wasted.

 

Pz MkIV in the livery of 12th SS HJ Division.   I am not a Nazi fanboy but my late war collection focus on the first days of the Normandy campaign.  The numerals on the turret skirting are from Dom Skelton, the 12thSS and German cross decals are from a BF set.  The model itself is a resin model from Gaming Models, which make decent and inexpensive product.  Slightly smaller than Battlefront stuff, but not noticeably so.  With the advent of Plastic Soldier Company, I’m not sure if Gaming Models are as much of a bargain as they used to be, but they don’t have to be assembled and they do a lot of stuff that PSC hasn’t got to yet.

 

Two Gaming Models Panthers, also in 12th SS livery - same decals.

 

 

 Cats always have a way of showing you their butts, with more pigment.

 

“Look Kelly, a Tiger has only one weak point, that’s it’s ass."

 

 

 

General Rommel’s new command vehicle, the KampfKampingWagen Westfalia Mk 1, tours the  panzers ready to repel the invasion.

These figures bring my totals completed this year to:

28mm Mounted: 7

28mm Foot: 20

28mm Artillery: 1

15mm Vehicles: 4

Kilometres Run: 157

24 comments:

  1. Excellent looking tanks. I like the camo. I personally hate painting camo on vehicles but you have done it rather well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. That's the beauty of all that desert war kit you're painting. Just paint it sand or desert tan, weather to suit, and you're done.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Chris.
    Breaking news - one of the those resin Panthers just got taken out by a 6lber. It's littermate crushed the AT gun in revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suitably dastardly Padre.

    What rules were you using? Something Lardie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Ain't Been Shot Mum! Ver 3. Lardy rules for company level gaming. Very sound rules and the card-driven system makes ideal for solitaire play.

      Delete
  4. Totally kick-arse Mike. Well worth the effort on all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an absolutely spiffing job on that ambush camo old sport! I'll have to unlimber my 17 pdrs and get ready for their advance, what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure AT,HE, smoke and beer are ready for Monday. I'm expecting these guys to get slotted pretty quickly by your 17lbers.
      I'm currently using two tea break cards in the deck which makes it interesting.

      Delete
  6. Very well painted cammos on those tanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike
    Great looking toys. It's February and yes the school whorl will get to you (me too). Cheer up the days are getting longer and there's light at the end of the tunnel.
    Cheers
    PD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete.
      It's evil profs - your kind - that are keeping me from my painting. :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you all. I'm quite happy with how they've turned out. I have a group of PSC Soviet T34s that should be dead simple by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work, Mike! The camo really makes them stand out. Hmm, that doesn't sound quite right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice work. Your camo turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good camo and great pigment work - especially on 15mm models. A treat to look at.

    (I remember reading the memoirs of Otto Carius, a Tiger ace who started out driving Panzer IIIs and IVs - he says that most German drivers preferred driving with their heads out (and would duck in before the gunner fired), just to give more situational awareness. Just a single-source report but I often leave the heads sticking out after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds very convincing, Col. I remember driving around the training area at Suffield in the turret of one of your Warriors and as I recall the driver had his head up as well. It was pitch black, there were a lot of nasty ditches and hills that could have easily rolled us ... not a place to drive blindly in.

      Delete
  12. Love Rommel's new command vehicle! The tanks look smashing too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like these very much. Pics aren't all that bad either. Nice also to see a nice mix of producers.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers