Friday, August 2, 2024

Plastic Model Diversions


 Hello friends:

Popping up to post some photos of what I've been up to lately, not wargaming really but as I've noted here before, I enjoy hacking away on plastic model kits from time to time just for the therapeutic value of the process and having something to look at when all is done.

I've nearly finished this 1/48 scale Mk 1 Hurricane by Italieri.  


I've been using the Vallejo RAF Battle of Britain paint said, which is intended for the airbrush but I've been using a brush.   A recall reading that someone once interviewed an RAF airman about how they painted aircraft and he basically said they used "whatever we had in the shed".   I suspect a lot of warplanes then were a little rougher in appearance than they look in the model airplane magazines.

A few more fiddly bits to finish and then I can put the prop on and call her done.  I may find something to dull down the finish on the decals.

And as one kit is winding down, another is just getting started.  Oddly, I was inspired to build this by my wife Joy, who was born in Collingwood, Ontario, where we live now.   Collingwood was a shipbuilding town, and a number of corvettes were built along the Great Lakes.  Snowberry was built at Lauzon near Quebec City and was originally intended for the Royal Navy, but was transferred to Canadian service.


I've read various comments about this kit, which contains hundreds of fiddly little bits, and I suspect it will be a challenge, so I'll work away at it from time to time, post progress photos here occasionally, and hopefully it will finish up on the mantleplace at the rectory - in Collingwood!



 Cheers and blessings to your sprue clipping!

MP



2 comments:

  1. Looks good to me.

    One of my powers is botching the assembly of any model kit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous post Padre and I love the Spitfire. That Corvette looks like a challenging build, but I am sure it will be a fabulous achievement when done.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers