Saturday, August 17, 2024

EX THUNDERING DICE 2-24: A Wargames Weekend

It's been ages since I've posted any sort of games reports here, and truth be told, I do very little face to face gaming these days due to a lack of local opponents.   However, my friend James and I managed one of our occasional gaming weekends, which we have christened EX THUNDERING DICE.   I think this was our fourth or fifth over as many years.   Last weekend James made the two hour drive and as the host I could offer the gaming room in the upstairs of the old rectory where I currently live.  It's a lovely space and filled with natural light during the day.


 It was also a chance to give James this piece for his Napoleonics collection, a 28mm Front Rank figure, Archduke Charles, for James' Austrian force.   Seeing as James usually plays Sharp Practice, the Archduke may qualify as the biggest of Big Men.  He certainly has a big hat!  He's painted using the Foundry tritone system.   I don't paint or collect 28mm Napoleonics, but Front Rank's figures may yet tempt me.


James and I started by playing an 18th century game using my 28mm collection of Prussians and Russians.   We had a friend of mine, David, an avid scale modeller who was getting his first test of miniature wargames.   We used Keith Flint's Honours of War rules from Osprey, and chose the introductory scenario, in which four units deploy to protect a river crossing, from five attacking units.   It might make more sense to defend the other side of the river, but that would have made for a tedious game.   Both sides had one regiment of line cavalry, which immediately charged.  David's Prussians were eliminated, while the Prussians barely survived with only one hit remaining, and would sit out much of the fight to recover.


From then on, David had to divide his remaining force of two infantry regiments and one gun section against three Russian infantry regiments.  It was a brave effort, but he was eventually swamped by numbers.  We had enough time remaining to reset the table and try another battle with more troops, just to give David another chance to move some troops and roll some dice.   I think he enjoyed it, and left with a stack of surplus wargaming magazines and a promise to try it again.    


We were not very familiar with the HoW system but we found it fairly easy to pick up.   The challenge with these rules is to keep a reserve and, if possible, pull units back before the accumulate five hits and are then removed from play.    Given that musketry is quite deadly, this is not easy to do, especially in a game like our first scenario which uses a small number of units, in which case it's a quickly resolved knife fight.  It took us a few turns to remember the shooting rule which makes it slightly harder to cause a hit against superior troops (eg grenadiers) but easier to cause a hit against inferior troops such as friekorps.  As James pointed out to me, this rule reflects the varying morale and cohesion of targeted units rather than the shooter's marksmanship.

The game also reminded me that I have more work to do on my SYW collection of Russians and Prussians before I can offer a game with more than two small brigades per side, so I had better get cracking.

In the evening we played a boardgame of a Punic Wars battle in Spain (Baetis Campaign from the most recent issue of C3I magazine, which was a kind concession from James since his taste doesn't run to hex and counter games.  I'll post a review of that game separately.

The next day was mostly taken up with Quar, which is James' latest passion project.  I only managed to get a few photos of the table before we began.   Once we started I was occupied trying to run a very large force, and did poorly.  There are more photos on James' blog here.

I have huge respect for the way James dives in a project and single-mindedly pursues it.    The Quar, a race of sentient and warlike anteaters, have clearly seized his imagination.    It's World War One but in a transposed setting, I suppose in the same way that Flintloque transposed Napoleon's into a fantasy setting.   I confess that I don't quite get it, as the troops look like WW1 French and English troops only with pot bellies and snouts, and I'm not sure why one wouldn't just play WW1 straight up.  On the other hand, I like the whimsy of it, which steers clear of the grotesque aspects that make Turnip28 rather repulsive to me.    We used the Osprey SF rules, Xenos Rampant, which seemed to work well enough. 

I had what I thought was a decent plan, but a bad run of dice over several straight turns, which made me a little grumpy, for which I do heartily repent, as grumpiness in a gaming partner is never attractive and can be a deal breaker over time.  


After dinner we reconvened and broke out my ACW collection, which includes some old Minifigs that I first painted while watching CNN's coverage of the first Gulf War, so that shows my age, I guess.  We decided to revisit Sam Mustafa's Longstreet rules, which James and I played a lot of about a decade ago when we lived closer to one another.     We each took five infantry units (3 Eager Recruits and 2 Seasoned Veterans) and a battery.  James threw his two Texan regiments against a wood defended by one of my regiments, and quickly shot them out of it.   We discovered that in these rules, defending in covering terrain messes up your shooting for little gain in return.


The main action was in the wheat field, which changed hands repeatedly.  I had an edge here, as my battery was within canister range for much of the fight, and, as they say, dealt terrible execution.  It took us a few turns to remember that in Longstreet, firing zones are straight ahead, without the customary 45 degree arcs to either side.  At the end of the fight, I had pushed the rebs back across the wheatfield, and my fighting Irish in reserve had contained the Texans that had won the fight in the woods.  A close victory to the Union.


It had been a while since we'd played Longstreet, and I think we were both favourably impressed.   Our memories of the card playing was that it could seem gamey, in that one can have the perfect attack teed up only to be foiled when the other guy plays one of the rare but annoying interrupt cards.   However, cards are usually better employed for different reasons, such as ordering a move through difficult terrain, or trying to preserve units from multiple shooting hits against them.    It's always a choice, and the choices do a good job of simulating a commander's limited bandwidth in a horse and musket battle.   While we had both instinctively put commander figures on the table, they had little to do, as the command and control rules all live within the card play.  Perhaps we missed some rules about command radii affecting card play?  All in all, Longstreet is a fun and playable system for a brigade sized battle that can be resolved in a  few hours.

We finished the second day with a viewing of the old Kubrick film, Paths of Glory, which James had never seen but which came up as we were playing our Quar game.  James was a little surprised that the second half of the film was a courtroom drama, but it's a masterpiece of the antiwar genre, and brilliantly shot in black and white.   The tracking shot of Kirk Douglas as Col. Dax walking through the trench and among his men prior to the attack is one of the memorable scenes in cinema.

We said goodbye after breakfast and hope to meet again over the gaming table sometime this winter.   Good to see a dear old friend and to get some games in.    I shall spend the next months looking harder for a gaming opponent in or near Collingwood.  Maybe David will want to try again?

Blessings to your die rolls.

MP+


7 comments:

  1. That does sound like a most excellent weekend, well spent. padre! I can understand the temptation to buy and paint some ore Front Rank figures - they are amongst my favourites, even after all the years of newer and shinier alternatives hitting the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good weekend. I was very pleased when Gripping Beast picked up the Front Rank line and have since bought multiple castings of their SYW figures to flesh out my regiments. The little I've seen of their Napoleonics range is excellent and I confess there is a certain pleasure in the weight and not having to glue multiple fiddly bits together as one does with plastic figures.

      Delete
  2. HoW is probably my favourite set of rules for SYW. I found them quite easy to learn and play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you like it, the basic concepts are simple and the shooting and melee resolution are fairly deadly, so it moves to a rapid conclusion. It also doesn't faff around too much with command and control and charge mechanics.

      Delete
  3. Rolling dice and chatting with an ol.....errrrrrr....long time..... friend is a great way to spend time.

    I read Paths of Glory in my teens, but have never seen the movie, I shall have to rectify that. TG again for the internet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a brilliant film. I think the current crop of FWW historians would be unhappy with it because it perpetrates certain stereotypes like the chateau generals, but it is based on a true episode. The final scene of the troops captivated by a young singer before they return to the line will stay with you for a long time.

      Delete
  4. Entering this comment for my friend James who had trouble posting it here. James is replying to my words in the post about "why not just do WW1 straight up?" He writes:
    "Quar are dumpy and sad, kinda silly, kinda serious, and all just trying to get by in big events that they don't understand. Rather like us. I can indulge in some satire without worrying about insulting real people. The tactics are real;, but there aren't any SS or atrocities."
    Fair point. James' blog has some great Quar fluff and background.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers