Monday, July 26, 2021

Perry Brothers Command and Artillery Figures for Upper Canada/Alt-ACW

I’m happy to have finished another batch of figures for my alt-ACW project, all from the Perry 1860s British Intervention Force range.   

Command figures from set BIF 44, which are modelled on figures of the period such as Garnet Wolseley.  They’re painted using the Foundry tri-tone paint system, which I may slowly become a fan of.  The blue of the uniforms came out quite glossy, but the dullcote finish toned it down nicely.

 

“I say, chaps, it says here that we lost the Euro Cup to Italy!  Damn bad news, what?"

Bossy foot types.  Chap sitting on the stump is writing “Dearest mother, Canada is full of swamps and mosquitos.  Any chance Uncle Bertie can get me back to Horse Guards?"

 

Command stand for a second unit of Canadian militia.   The flags are from Adolfo Ramos from his Crimean War range.  The battle honours might seem a bit spurious for a Canadian unit, but I can always say that this is a militia battalion affiliated with a famous British regiment and therefore entitled to carry its colours.  Or something to that effect.  At any rate, Adolfo’s flags are brilliant.

 

Finally, the Royal Artillery expand their presence in Upper Canada with a second Armstrong Whitworth gun and crew.   I think this uniform is incredibly smart, though the pillbox cap doesn’t look very useful for keeping the sun or rain off one’s hand, or for staying in place while operating a cannon.  Fun fact, Royal Military College of Canada cadets still wear this type of headdress as part of their ceremonial uniform.

The barrel looks a bit odd elevated off the carriage but I can’t figure out any other way to assemble it.

 

Hopefully I’ll get these chaps into action soon.   Thanks for looking and blessings to your brushes!

10 comments:

  1. Those are all very pretty. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. I'm quite pleased with them. Great minis.

      Delete
  2. Nice painting. Put them tabletop soon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. like these very much Mike. Those uniforms look great and I appreciate the attention to the piping, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I had to screw up all my nerve to do the piping, but it proved a little easier than I thought. The secret seems to be to dilute the paint a tiny bit so it follows a smooth line, but not too much so it doesn't just run. Phew!

      Delete
  4. Great work there and it reminds me that I have some figures for this campaign, but when they will see paint, God only knows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I would love to see your figures!

      Delete
  5. They certainly look the part once well painted as here.

    First time I had to wear the silly thing in public, we were on an outing to Centaur Theatre or Place des Arts in Montreal for a play. Didn't have our Scarlet's yet being in prep year at St. Jean so we were in the dark blue #4 dating back to the Boer War I'm sure (with field service cap (wedgie) on we fit right into the old photos). Anyway, not very stylish for 1972 and before the show and during breaks, I'm not sure if there were more requests for directions to seats, bathrooms, exits etc? or cracks about monkeys and organ grinders.

    However, in the 1860's, the infantry pillboxes weren't stiffened and sat on top of the head and look fairly comfy in photos. Trust the cavalry and the staff to stiffen them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ross, and happy birthday!
    I got to wear a pillbox hat briefly as a bodged together Victorian artillery uniform - we wore RMC caps, blue pants with a yellow seam from RCMP dress uniform trousers, and some kind of surplus blue police jacket with an old CF ceremonial white belt. Our ringleader was mad as a box of frogs and armed us with antique Spencer rifles and a 2pdr replica cannon. Madness.
    Love your story about the theatre.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers