Thursday, April 13, 2017

Meanwhile, In Gondor

MINAS TIRITH, MIDDLE EARTH PRESS SERVICE:  After accusations from the White Council that Gondor has gotten lax and fallen behind on its security, the Office of the Steward announced that the Gondorian army has been increased.   Said Denethor, Steward of Gondor, “Our new rapid deployment force will allow us protect our borders and keep the people of Gondor safe.  Our troops are the best.  Not that Sauron is a bad guy.  I don’t know Sauron, but I am sure that if he and I got together, we could do some deals together."

Twelve new troops for my Gondorian force.   These are of course the classic GW plastic sculpts as per the Peter Jackson films.  They are figures that Chris Stoesen sent to me at Christmas as part of the Santa Clause project.  Thank you, Chris, great gift!

Also finished are these eight figures from the GW Warriors of the First Age sprue.   You get four per sprue and I had two sprues, so …   I think they could pass for palace guards or some sort of ceremonial or elite unit.

They have comfy blue cloaks.  Definitely an elite unit.

 

Then, just to have a bit of a gloat, I put all of my Gondorian figures together for a group shot and was pleasantly surprised.  Almost fifty figures in all, and this force has never fought together on the tabletop before.  Shall have to fix that.

Gondorian archers.  My take on them would be that they are the best archers of the race of Men, second only to the elves.  Other races of Men, like the Rohirrim, use shorter bows suitable for mounted work.    So, for example, in Dragon Rampant I would give Gondor 18” missile range and allow the sharpshooter upgrade as well as an upgrade to their armour from 2 to 3 on the grounds that they walk around inside tin cans.  Of course, that would be an expensive unit to field.

“Men of Gondor …” sung to the tune of Men of Harlech.   Inspiring lot, and very shiny.

Thank you and blessings to your sharp swords of Men.

 

These figures bring my 2017 totals to:

15mm: Vehicles: 3, Foot Figures: 4, Scenic Pieces: 7

20mm: Foot figures: 18

28mm:  Foot Figures: 82;  Mounted Figures: 11; Terrain Pieces: 17


 

 

17 comments:

  1. Fine work Padre! I take it Rohan is to pay for the increased security Gondor is providing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see the force of good getting a boost, lovely work Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Gondorians Michael, I especially like the heavily armoured archers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work, Michael!
    Your figure count seems to be up nicely thus far in 2017. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those came out nice. Glad you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice, shiny archers and your wall looks good,so who's paying for it?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see the forces of man increasing.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a proud supporter of Isengard I feel I need to pop in and say that these lovely figures will avail you not as the Age of Man is over.

    Great work -pity they're doomed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love 'em Mike! Right out of the films for sure.

    Gondorian Rangers in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very shiny but kin they fight?

    I always figured the best Gondorian (is that a word?) archers were in the Rangers and the tin can guys were those who didn't make the grade. But its possible that I've been spending too much time listening to the Rangers in the Alehouse :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice and great seeing them all together. Looks like they'll really pack a punch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work, you're building up quite a collection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mad P. - it was really great meeting you at Hot Lead, and I'm glad I got a taste of your fantastic Tolkien collection. But there's something unsettling about the way that Denethor talks. Are you sure he knows what he's doing? His position is too important for a moron.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers