Monday, May 6, 2024

A Small Ancients Diversion: Victrix 28mm Roman Auxiliary

 I've always tried to be careful about overextending my hobby energies into too many periods, but I often fail.   A few years ago, when Clash of Spears was all the rage at my local gaming store,  I painted a Germanic war band and developed a fondness for Victrix figures.    A little fiddly to put together, but they come with a pleasing range of options and they paint up nicely.    So I thought that my Germanii could use some opponents for solitaire play and decided on, of course, Romans.    My friend James likes to say that the auxiliaries made up the backbone of the Roman armies, rather than  the sexier legionaries, and so that was my next step into the world of ancients wargaming.

Here's the first set complete, and tucked into 8 figure bases from now defunct 4Ground that I bought for GW's War of the Ring rules.


A very mean and scary centurion in the middle.


Shield transfers from Little Big Men.  Once you get the hang of applying them, they're quite easy to do for a whole unit.

On manoeuvres in the forests of Germania.  What could possibly go wrong?


Very easy figures to paint, I quite like how the mail shirts look from this angle.

 

There's a lot of competition to get into the painting queue these days.  On one desk I have a regiment of Union ACW infantry, and on another desk I have a Prussian SYW musketeer regiment just getting started, but I think once they get done I'll return to Romans.  I have some Baleric slingers and some auxiliary arches to paint next.    

In the meantime, there are rules to master.  Clash of Spears is too tactical for what I have in mind.   I am currently playing with Three Ages of Rome, written by Philip Garton and published by Helion.  Hope to have an initial report here soon.

Cheers and blessings to your brushes!  MP+

13 comments:

  1. Very nice looking ... 'Romans'. Do auxiliaries count as Romans without the quotation marks? At any rate, they look splendid.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ion. I wonder if "auxilia" in Latin is a synonym for "expendable"? :)

      Delete
  2. Very nice! What colour did you use for the helmets? They look to be to be a dark bronze or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Citadel/GW Warplock Bronze and gave it a wash of Army Painter Dark Ink. Seemed to work well.

      Delete
  3. Very nice looking romans indeed.
    Alan Tradgardlamd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking figures Padre - I understand your wariness about starting new collections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrew. Yes, new collections can be invigorating and a cure to the hobby "blahs" but they can also be massive time sinks! It's a tricky balance, isn't it?

      Delete
  5. Excellent looking auxiliaries! I'm painting late Romans, in amongst the Napoleonics!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I look forward to seeng your Romans.

      Delete
  6. You have done a great job on these - I have only "done" Victrix figures once I think - 1804-1807 French infantry - what a pain - so many separate pieces for the scale - it was like doing Historex or Tamiya but in 28mm! Perhaps an earlier era has less, small, fiddly parts to lose?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers