Monday, February 28, 2022

February's Project: Victrix German Barbarians

Hello friends:

February’s almost done and I’ve neglected this poor blog terribly.   I’ve been focusing my spare time on projects for this year's Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge, and one of those projects has been sixty ancient Germanic barbarians from Victrix.  These guys have been featured in two lots on the AHPC, the first batch here, and the second here.  I won’t repeat all the details from those two posts, but will indulge myself in showing some of the better pics.  High praise for these Victrix models.  I’ve heard that some of their horse and musket models are fiddly but most of these models consisted of only 3-5 parts.   I ordered the bespoke Little Big Men Studios shield transfers for this Victrix set and for the cost of a small bit of work they add immeasurably to the visual impact of these figures.

Elites in amour (Roman auxiliary deserters?  captured kit?).

 Not everyone wants a fancy uniform.  Javelin troops. 

 Barbarians with assorted choppers.

Fellows with stabby sticks. 

 Roman soldier’s eye view.

 The horde’s all here.  

The whole point of getting these figures was to participate in the Clash of Spears games currently popular.  I’ve only played two games of CoS thus far, I’ll try to post again soon with some thoughts on those rules.

Cheers and blessings to your brushes!

MP+


12 comments:

  1. Some very nice paint work on these and I agree the transfers certainly enhance the shields - how hard were they to apply? I have always hated transfers since a prepubescent Airfix kit builder and I still cant seem to get the hang of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I didn't find the LBMS transfers too hard to apply. The fiddliest part is cutting out the centre part that fits over the shield boss. I recommend a sharp craft knife for that, plus a steady hand and good pair of scissors for cutting the outer edges. If you paint the shield white and the boss metal before applying the transfer, it's relatively simple. Sticky side goes on the shield, let it dry, then treat with a wet brush and when the layer of paper is damp it peels off easily. The transfers take a matte varnish quite easily.

      Delete
  2. Amazing brushwork, Michael! Brilliant shields too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Jonathan. I'm quite happy with them, the shields totally enhance the final effect.

      Delete
  3. You wouldn't want to be outside the tavern where these guys were drinking when 'time Gentlemen' was called!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look belligerent, don't they? Are you quite sure they're gentlemen? :)

      Delete
  4. Well done!
    The nobles in armour probably served with the legions in a feoderati cohort and bought their armour.
    By the 1st century with all the Germans serving with the eagles, the Romans found them to be a very well organized foe, using signals and formations etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. All I know about the campaigns in Germania is from the first twenty minutes of the film Gladiator, which is to say, not much. I should probably read Tacitus or something. Expect me to hire you as a consultant when I buy some Roman auxiliaries.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful brushwork. I hope you get them out on a table as often as you want. Too pretty to sit in a box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you. I do hope to get them to my FLGS regularly as the Clash of Spears craze appears long lived.

      Delete
  6. That’s some great paintwork Mike! And so many done too. Hope CoS proves to be a good rules set

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, mate, I'm pleased with how they turned out. Getting the muscle definition on the more naked chaps was a happy accident. Lots of Agrax Earthshade on the faces, then picking out noses and cheeks with Cadian and Elfin flesh mix. Looks ok.
      CoS has some interesting ideas, I will be sure to report here soon.

      Delete

Blog Archive

Followers