Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Guns for Der Alte Fritz! : 28mm Front Rank Prussian SYW Artillery

Hello friends.   I hope you and yours celebrated as well a Christmas as may be hoped for in the second year of the great plague.   As the old year winds down, I’m trying to get some finished projects off the painting bench.   Here, mustered into service of my small but growing 7YW Prussian army, are two 28mm guns and gunners.  I ordered them just before Front Rank was sold by its owners to Gripping Beast, and the last time I checked the GP website the FR ranges were still unavailable, so glad I got them when I did.

Each set of four crew included the aggressively pointing officer, so I kept one of these two models in reserve for a command vignette of some sort.

These figures were painted using Foundry triad paints over a black undercoat, and I’m slowly getting comfortable with these paints.   The silver officer’s sash gave me some trouble, so in the end I painted it in white, gave it a black wash, and then picked out the raised pieces with a Citadel metallic paint (Axebreaker, I think it’s called).

The FR gun castings come with two barrels each, one I think a 12 pounder and these ones below I think are the 6 pounder versions.  I’ve painted and kept both and have not glued the barrels to the gun carriage, which I think gives me some flexibility in deploying them.  The carriages were painted somewhat expressionistically in Foundry Union Trouser Blue, which I think gives them a Prussian look.  The ground material is a latex scenic piece from Barrage Miniatures, and the backdrop is something I found after doing a Google search for “18th Century German landscapes”.

Getting ready to set up camp on the painting bench is a Prussian fusilier regiment, followed by a Prussian cuirassier regiment, and at the rate I’m painting, we may see on of these two units by February.

I’ll be back over the next few days with some last projects completed in 2021.  

Cheers and blessings to your paint brushes!

MP+

12 comments:

  1. Nice work on these Padre, looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend, there is a regiment of Prussian fusiliers about to make came on the painting desk, as soon as some pesky barbarians are moved out of the way!

      Delete
  2. A nice addition to the forces!

    May 2022 be a kinder, gentler year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ross, and the very same to you and yours. Looking forward to your battles and adventures in 2022!

      Delete
  3. Very nice work and I think we are all hoping for a much better 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve and the very same to you. Here's to a happier year for all of us!

      Delete
  4. Lovely work on these Front Rank Prussians. I do hope Gripping Beast get their A into G and make the FR ranges available again soon...they are still one of my favourite figure styles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ross. I'm partial to the SYW stuff done by Foundry, but I think everyone with a love of the lace wars has a great fondness for FR. There are other figure ranges that do Prussians in 28mm, including Crusader and even Dixon, but I've never tried them.

      Delete
  5. Bloody good work Mike! The officer’s sash is spot on too.
    Bring on more of these Prussians I say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, When I do other periods and scales, my brush work is wargamer standard, but something about the SYW makes me want to bring my best painting game, and thank you for noticing that. All the best to you and your lovely family, mate.

      Delete

Blog Archive

Followers