Monday, November 22, 2021

Lady Rathbone's Raiders: Some Pulp Figures

Have you ever painted figures just for the fun of it, without a really clear idea of what they were going to be for?  

That was my motive for painting these five 28mm figures from two-fisted Canadian sculptor, Bob Much, proprietor of Pulp Figures.  This set, called Lady Rathbone’s Raiders, had just been released and somehow snuck it’s way into my shopping cart on my last trip to Bob’s site.

Faithful readers of this blog will know that I am partial to Pulp Figures, and have painted a lot of them for my Rockies Ablaze project.   However, these figures seem kitted out to take on a dangerous tropical paradise, so I don’t really have a clear use for them at present.

 

 Nevertheless, I like the strength and whimsy of these figures, as well as their racial diversity.   Not sure who Lady R is, but like a good pulp character, she has an exotic and varied crew at her back.  I also enjoy painting unique figures, which feels like a painting adventure, free of the dull constraints of the same uniform X 20 or X30, though these figures mostly ended up in predictable military colours, except for the Lucy Liu-is sword lady, who got a treatment of Citadel/GW contrast paints.

  

 

Perhaps they are on a rescue mission to find Amelia Earhart?    That sounds like a pulp tale in the making.  Now, to find some tropical islanders and perhaps Imperial Japanese sailors and soldiers?   That sounds like a fun project in embryo. 

 

Thanks for looking and blessings to your die rolls!

MP+

 

 

11 comments:

  1. Cool figures, well painted, hunting for a story line....an epic in the making, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, there definitely is a story line there somewhere!

      Delete
  2. Don’t be silly. Of course I have painted figures with no purpose in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking team! They look like they’d fit into multiple settings even modern and zombie apoc.

    Half my painted minis collection is made up of impulse paint jobs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dai. A 1930s era zombie pulp game would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like 'em, Padre. I wish them luck on their search.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great. Calling out for a game. Very effective photo indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, I'm sure we've all done this at some point! Great work on the figures and love them in their setting with a great backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you, Brother.
    I find painting something totally different is good when my mojo is waning. My turn-to is Alternative Armies' Flintloque - different genre and different scale. I have no idea what I'm going to do with them but love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look fab and thanks for the reminder about this set. I keep meaning to pick this one up

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers