Hello friends:
I've been terribly neglecful reading your blogs and updating my own. September has flown by in a blur as work resumed. The church is like school, it all kicks off in September and while I'm enjoying my work and the people I serve, this year I'm painfully aware that I no longer have youthful energy reserves to draw on. Perhaps some of that has bled into my hobby time, though I have been working hard on some projects in my spare time. I think often of retirement, it sounds more and more attractive.
I had a long conversation with my son this summer abour his experience with ADHD and how he's managed it successfully as a young adult. He startled me when he looked at me and said "Dad, where do you think I got it from?" I've never been diagnosed, but I now realize that I've had something akin to ADHD all my life. My attention span can be short, I get distracted easily, and while I can be good at what I do (I have a few post graduate diplomas and a CV to prove it), to be successful I have to concentrate hard on one task and when it's done I'm exhausted. Not to bore you with my personal life, but in hobby terms I find that I can overload myself with projects, ping ponging (SQUIRREL!) from one period and scale to another. I've learned some coping skills - put one project in a box and keep it in one place, and don't let my workbench become chaotic. Plan a unit and paint it. Decide on one rules set that I want to learn and play. It doesn't always work, but it helps.
So this September I decided to take a break from my SYW and WW2 naval projects and return to Napoleonics. Because I've enjoyed Sharp Practice, I wanted a small force that I could play with, and because my mate James has a lot of Bavarians and kaiserlicks, I thought that I couldn't go wrong with French. I started with a set of Victrix 28mm French infantry. Not my first time with Victrix, but I won't lie, these fellows are tricky and you have to concentrate on getting the right arms with the right bodies. Had to hunt for instructions online. Not great. Then I decided that I would paint a test batch with white undercoat, which is a change from my normal practice of using black. After all, the base of an official French uniform is white, n'est ce pas?
y.




Napoleonics looking good , both the 28mm and the 6mm.
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland
Merci monsieur le Duc.
DeleteTres bon, mes amis!
ReplyDeleteTu es un bon ami. Merci pour tes mots gentils.
DeleteADHD (And perhaps even low level Autisms)... Makes me wonder if more of us have gone through into our "middle-aged" years undiagnosed and just thought we looked at or tackled things "differently" and accounted for that in our day-to-day goings?
ReplyDeleteMight be a time for some self reflection I think on my end reading this because I have a flippin tough time concentrating on things for much lengths of time, especially when the topics are/were uninteresting to me.
Thought provoking stuff Mike.
Your Frenchies tho look very nice. I find white undercoats rarely hit the spot for me. I typically use a nice mid-grey (Rustoleum Flat Primer) as I find it's easier to highlight up and also shade down from that. Nice to see also that your eyesight is still good enough to pick out those tiny details on the 6mm versions! (BTW - how do you base up your 28mm skirmisher units?)